8.26.2010

Another Custom Set

I don't know where this is coming from, but I have been zoned in on creating custom cards as of late. I am not sure if it is the "Blogger Edition" cards, or Beardy's cards. All I can say for sure is it is very enjoyable.

Like I mentioned when I introduced the idea for the "Blogger Edition" sub set, I really wanted to also create a set for TTM that honored our Military heroes. Ultimately I would like to honor current men and women, but I am not really sure how to find subjects. If anyone knows a serviceman or servicewoman who is or has served overseas that we can add to this set, let me know. Any theater, any time, and any country.

Bob Feller - 2008 Allen & Ginter "Heroes Edition" - #1

The first card to launch this set is of Bob Feller. Mr. Feller served in world war 2 as a navy gunner. He made the rank of Chief Petty Officer and actually was in a combat roll (his decision). I am not sure how many athletes that served in that time actually served in a combat roll, but anecdotally I want to say that it was more common for them not too.

Mr. Feller gave 4 years, and enlisted after pearl harbor. He had already played 4 years in the majors and had a no-hitter under his belt before he join the Navy. Thank Mr. Feller.

Please check out Baseball in Wartime. The article on Feller is found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment